Minor in Teaching English as a Second Language

Go to Course Catalog


The Program

This coursework develops and refines skills necessary in teaching English as a second language (in the US, foreign schools, and language institutes).  

For a master’s level TESL program, see the TESL minor in the English MA program.

Take high school or community college courses in English, languages other than English, and ethnic studies.
To fulfill the requirements for a minor in Teaching English as a Second Language, complete the courses listed in the Minor Contract. You should also submit a Minor Declaration form to the Office of the Registrar in SBS 133. When you apply for graduation, you should indicate on your application form (under "Comments") that you are applying for a minor in Teaching English as a Second Language. Please follow this link for more information about applying for graduation and degree checks: http://pine.humboldt.edu/registrar/students/graduation.html.
Course Requirements
Six semester units of a language other than English taken at the university level or at an intensive language program.
ENGL 326 (4) Language Studies for Teachers, or
ENGL 328 (4) Structure of American English
All of the following:
ENGL 417 (3) Second Language Acquisition
ENGL 435 (4) Introduction to English as a Second/Foreign Language
ENGL 436 (3) Integrating Language & Content in English Instruction
NOTE: ENGL 435 is a prerequisite for 436. Also, ENGL 225, 326, 328 or the equivalent is a prerequisite for ENGL 417.